[TxMt] Re: "Edit in Textmate" failing for Mail.app?

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Wed Jan 7 15:32:43 UTC 2009

On 2009-Jan-6, at 8:21 PM, David Frascone wrote:

> Do you actually find it easier to compose mail in textmate?  For me,
> I've replaced all of my programmers' editors with textmate -- and
> I've even gone so far as to set my EDITOR variable.

Me too. You might find this helpful. It defaults to vim (for remote
SSH sessions), but uses TextMate if you're logged in locally. I use
tcsh, but I'm sure you can figure out how to adapt this to some other
shell.

    setenv EDITOR vim
    if ( ! $?SSH_CLIENT ) then
      # use TextMate in place of vim
      setenv EDITOR '/usr/local/bin/mate_wait'
      setenv LESSEDIT 'mate -l %lm %f'
      alias vi '/usr/local/bin/mate'
    endif

I can still get to Vim if I want by typing `vim` instead of `vi`.

> But e-mail?  Is it worth the effort?

If it's just sentences, probably not, but if I need to indent multiple
lines or put together a Markdown style list, it's far easier in TM.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Because it screws up the order in which people normally read text.