[TxMt] puzzling command output with Tool Tips and l/

Jon Stewart jonathan.l.stewart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 05:04:45 UTC 2009

Howdy,

I've got a weird bug displaying file paths in Tool Tips as output from
shell commands. The bug is that if a directory in a path ends in an
'l' (el, not one), then both it and the slash are elided in the Tool
Tip display.

For example, I have a simple bundle command that executes "git status"
(that's it; nothing more) and writes the output to a tool tip. In the
example below, I've modified a file named "clusters.py" in a
sub-directory named "util" (i.e. "util/clusters.py"). The tool tip
output of the path will be "uticlusters.py", like this:

# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#
#       modified:   uticlusters.py

If I execute "git status" from the terminal, I get the correct
"util/clusters.py":

# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#
#       modified:   util/clusters.py

I have had this problem before with other commands, so it's not
specific to git. If I tell the output to go to a New Document or to
Insert As Snippet, then the missing "l/" in the paths show up (using
the same bundle commands). So, it appears to be something weird about
the output going to a Tool Tip. Is there some kind of markup happening
in Tool Tips?

Any help is much appreciated -- I'm afraid I'm a bit out of my league
in this issue.

Jon