[TxMt] Re: How do you force carriage return after 80 characters?

King, Steven sking at arbor.net
Mon Dec 21 14:27:51 UTC 2009

On 20 Dec 2009, at 17:06, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

On 20.12.2009, at 22:00, Christopher Brewster wrote:

in other words automate the process of automatically starting a new line after 80 characters.

I am sure there must be a setting somewhere .....

Hmm, I do not know whether the following could help you but maybe you play with it

Wow, talk about swatting a fly with a hammer! :-)

The short answer to Christopher's question is, unfortunately, "No, there's no setting for that". Hans's script would work with a little tweaking, but personally I'd hate to run a shell script every time I hit space.

I think the best solution is to turn on View -> Soft Wrap and try to remember to hit ^Q at the end of your paragraphs. Or at the end of the document, select all and hit ^Q.  If you're daring you could try binding the return key to a script similar to what Hans posted. Forking a shell script once a paragraph isn't as bad as after every word.

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer