[TxMt] Re: Mailing list reply direction & history standards question.

joseph davison jwdavison at me.com
Sat Dec 19 00:51:34 UTC 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Rob McBroom wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Jack Matier wrote:
>
>> Do I form a reply at the bottom or the top?
>
> I pretty much agree with Fritz. In a situation like this, where conversations can go on for days and involve multiple people, you need to interleave your responses below the original text while trimming out anything that’s irrelevant to your response. This allows someone to jump in at the 5th or 10th message and still get an idea what’s happening just by reading top to bottom.
>
> And for those Apple Mail users that don’t know of it, this has made my life so much better:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/quotefixformac/

Thanks for that.

Interestingly, that page claims the signature, etc. is removed from the quoted mail, and in this case it was.  However, when I try to reply to any other message in this thread it doesn't.   I suppose it's because your signature begins with
the '--' alone on the line before the signature, as I don't see than on the other messages.

In my prior, unix workaday life, that was automagically inserted in sent mail -- It doesn't appear to be with Mail.app,
so why's it in yours?  (Or, more relevantly, how's it in yours?)