[TxMt] Re: Problem with MultiMarkdown PDF generation

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at fletcherpenney.net
Thu Aug 13 01:32:30 UTC 2009

The problem is that the support in the default Markdown bundle for
MultiMarkdown sucks, to say the least.  Don't get me wrong - I
appreciate the effort that went into creating a Markdown bundle, and I
was glad to see that MMD was even mentioned.  But I could never get it
to work.  In fact, the original Markdown bundle includes a very outdated
copy of MMD.

The command you're referring to in TextMate that uses htmldoc should
never have been labeled as a MultiMarkdown feature - it's really a
feature that should be compatible with generic Markdown as far as I'm
concerned.

MultiMarkdown, as I have released it, has always relied on LaTeX for
generating PDF's.  That's not to say that there aren't other methods of
converting an HTML document (that happened to be generated by MMD) into
a PDF.  But they have nothing to do with MMD per se.

If htmldoc serves your needs, then by all means use it.  If you find
that the quality and typography of the output leaves something to be
desired, then you might want to explore the option of using MMD to
generate LaTeX, and then run pdflatex (or xelatex) to create a PDF of
much higher quality.

So, yes - you are correct that the bundle you are using does make it
appear that MMD relies on htmldoc, but this is not the case.

F-