[TxMt] Re: Odd Behavior: Clicking in textMate doesn't change focus

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Mon Aug 10 19:21:16 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM, brad tittle <brad.tittle at trainnow.net>
> wrote:
>
> I wasn't able to confirm this behavior in other applications, but I was able t
> o do something similar. If I use the mouse wheel to scroll through another doc
> ument it does not change the focus. If I click on the scroll bar though, it do
> es change the focus.

You weren¹t able to confirm this behavior?  Try this:

Open TextEdit
Type some text
Select some text
Focus another app
Click and drag the selected text in TextEdit
TextEdit will not regain focus.

Open Safari
Go to a web page
Select some text
Focus another app
Click and drag the selected text in Safari
Safari will not regain focus.

Even the Finder, if clicking and dragging and item from the Desktop or open
window, will not regain focus.

I¹m not much into Mac programming, but I suspect that this is basic behavior
for most Cocoa apps.  Carbon apps, such as iTunes, MS Office, and Adobe¹s
apps, will likely focus as soon as you click.

The scroll wheel behavior you describe is standard in Leopard.