[TxMt] Re: Odd Behavior: Clicking in textMate doesn't change focus

brad tittle brad.tittle at trainnow.net
Mon Aug 10 18:25:18 UTC 2009

> On 7 Aug 2009, at 22:17, brad tittle wrote:
>
> > When I click on textMate and drag a line that has already been
> > selected down
> > a line, it does not change the focus to textMate.
>
> This is by design. Generally click-to-drag has the purpose of dropping
> the dragged text in your currently active application and hence should
> not change focus.
>
> You should find this behavior in most other apps.

I am not complaining. I figured out what was going on and will adapt
accordingly. I haven't managed to find this behavior in any apple
application yet.  I can't say have haved tried everything by any means, but
Pages, Numbers, and Neo Office focus themselves when I attempt to drag
anything.

I have to disagree slightly with your premise though. If you click in an
application to drag something and then drop it in another application the
focus should change according to the drop location. Whichever app received
the drop should probably get focus. I can see times where this might not be
preferable. If the drop is within the same application (in this case I
dragged from textMate to textMate), the drop location is textMate and should
make textMate the focus. I am having difficulty envisioning a time when
dragging something in one application should result in the previously
focussed app keeping focus unless that app receives the drop OR the drop
results in a message to the focussed app (which at this time is NOT the app
that is being manipulated).

As I said in my first post, I was doing it the backward way anyway.

I suspect that most people using textMate are keyboard maniacs and wouldn't
resort to something as crude as a mouse drag (especially doing the extremely
crude 1984 type debugging that I was doing -- resorting to log statements
followed by DIE to find out how I had managed to cut my own throat, which I
had.)

Have a great day. I love textMate.  I can't get my boss to understand why
textMate is better than DreamWeaver (but that is his problem and not yours,
and results from his graphics background).