[TxMt] Re: Annoying slowdowns of textmate...

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Apr 30 12:26:04 UTC 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Andrew Farley wrote:

> So, first, I regularly background and foreground TextMate, and every
> time I do so with this "folder" open in a TextMate window, it takes
> anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds to re-foreground.  I'm one of those
> really really fast users who makes a change, switches to browser, hits
> refresh, goes back, makes a change, etc. etc.  Pretty standard with
> web development.  This delay (especially when it leans towards the
> longer end) is really unbearable.  I have a feeling that it is re-
> scanning the entire directory tree for changes everytime I background/
> foreground it.  This is less than ideal.  I've been to a few Leopard
> dev talks at the last WWDC and I remember a feature (can't remember
> the name) that let you subscribe to folder/file changes.  Perhaps
> TextMate should do this instead of rescanning the directory tree for
> changes?  Or, maybe it's not doing that... but something is happening
> which makes it take up to around 20 (sometimes rarely even 30-40)
> seconds everytime I foreground textmate with this folder open.
> Anything I can do about this?

I am anxious to see if you find others who notice this or found a
solution.  I was talking with a friend about this the other day, and http://ciaranwal.sh/remate/
  ReMate was mentioned.  This was more to speed up ExpanDrive, so not
sure if it applies.

I am not editing more than a few files at a time, and until the other
day, was not even using projects, as I never saw the "Save as Project"
option.  I felt it was too much a pain to drag and drop files to make
a new project every time, this has been solved.  But I still do a lot
of remote dev, and there is no way to get remote opened windows into
project order, so I am still stumped.

Back to the issue at hand, with my small, around 10-100k in size
files, I too noticed the lag in toggling between command-tab of apps.
I use Lite Switch X, and was attributing it to that app, but good to
know that is not the case.

Only ever when I use TM, does edit -> cmd-tab -> Safari/Refresh -> cmd-
tab, there is a clear, noticeable slowness in that switch to me.
Sometimes it is more than others, ReMate did nothing to solve this for
me.

For me, it is minimal, but it is something I do in fact "feel".  It
seems to grow worse as time goes on, I reboot of the entire machine is
needed to make it get snappy again, but it will slow quickly.

Glad someone else does in fact notice it.  Though only glad in that I
do not have to troubleshoot my hardware and software setup :)