[TxMt] Re: Permissions problem with CLI mate...

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:25:46 UTC 2009

> On 23 Apr 2009, at 00:01, Andrew Farley wrote:
>
>> [...] Even if I "sudo mate".  Textmate pretends it opened this file
>> but the file is empty, and when you save it it will ask for
>> administrative privileges to do so.
>
> TextMate only supports saving as root, not opening files as root.

,,,
> I am however aware of the desire to use ‘sudo mate’ and have some
> proof-of-concept code that works, although it’s not ideal, but I do
> expect these things to be fully addressed in the future.

Actually, I have to put in a vote for leaving things as they are.  I
actually prefer getting prompted when I SAVE a file which I don't
normally have permissions.

Now if Textmate worked like, say vim, and refused to let you override
when you forgot to run it as root, then I'd want to at least be able
to run it as root, but having TM run under my user permissions and
only doing the equivalent of a sudo when I've told it in order to save
the file seems much safer to me.

--
Rick DeNatale