[TxMt] Re: Web preview and root-relative paths

Thu Apr 16 13:25:54 UTC 2009

On 2009-Apr-16, at 12:34 AM, Gianni wrote:

> In my html files I use root-relative paths such as:
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/screen.css" type="text/css" />

It's all about the context. When loaded from a web server, a browser
will interpret this as relative the the server's DocumentRoot. When
loaded from a local file, the browser will interpret this as relative
to the root of your file system.

You would get conflicting results either way. For instance, if you had
a file at "/files/index.html" and it referenced "/files/style.css", it
would work when loaded from a web server. But if the browser assumed
that paths in local files beginning with '/' should be relative to the
current document's parent directory, then the above reference would be
interpreted as "/files/files/style.css".

In other words, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

> The Web Preview does not work even though the path is also relative to
> the top level of the project, I have to use paths relative to the
> current document.
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/screen.css" type="text/css" />

This works everywhere because it is truly relative. I would switch to
this method wherever possible… which is not always practical.
Honestly, my "preview" is to upload to a web server and reload the
page in my browser. As an alternative, don't forget that your computer
has a web server already installed on it. With a little setup, you
could preview things by connecting to <http://localhost/>.

> Is there some way to get Web Preview to work with root-relative paths
> for html development?

There are variables you can set for a project, like
TM_PROJECT_SITEURL. I'm not sure where such variables are documented
or if they affect the behavior of the Web Preview, but perhaps there's
something similar that can tell the Web Preview to insert a path
before links beginning with '/'.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>