[TxMt] Theming help

leif halvard silli lhs at russisk.no
Wed Apr 15 04:22:12 UTC 2009

Hi. Some questions w.r.t. getting themes to work as I prefer:

Firstly, the manual says [1]  that "markup.heading.2.html" can be used
in a language grammar. And then subsequently one may use that as a
selector in a Theme. I have tried to use the mentioned selector in a
theme made entirely from scratch, but whatever color I add for that
selector, nothing happens to the styling of the <h2> tags or anything.
Do I need to update the language grammar for HTML in order to get it to
work or what?

Secondly, Brilliance Black seems to be one of the richest themes
arround, with colors for many languages. It has a HTML section. And
below that it has a "markup" section. The markup selection has e.g.
"markup.heading" and "markup.bold". I assumed that "markup.bold" would
turn <b>text/</b> into bold face. But, no - doesn't happen. I have
misunderstood something?

Thirdly: Ideally, what I would like to see was a theme were the /text/
changed styling, more than the tags/code around the text. But TextMate
appears to only be able to have one color for text, namely that of the
"Foreground" color. Am I right? I hope not. Put on an edge, I would much
rather have a permant color for tags etc, but differing colors for text,
depending of the context. Can TextMate do this? Or may I just forget it
at once?

(I have used TextMate for a 2-3 years, but I only used the installed
themes. And there are many things with it that I have not taken
advantage of.)

[1] http://manual.macromates.com/en/language_grammars

Best regards,
Leif Halvard Silli,