[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Tue Apr 14 08:30:35 UTC 2009

On 6 Apr 2009, at 05:31, Rob McBroom wrote:

> [...]
> Based on the theory that UTI is authoritative, the correct way to
> handle this is to just set the UTI for text files with no extension to
> "public.plain-text", but in practice, it looks like the only way to
> change the UTI is to change the extension. What the hell is the point
> of that? [...]

My conclusion is that the UTI system is still not adopted by the OS.
For example if I remove all the declared file extensions from
TextMate’s Info.plist and instead put in public.plain-text then you
can no longer drop files conforming to public.plain-text on TextMate’s
Dock icon, and TextMate will not show in the “Open With…” menu.

So both Finder and Dock seems to still be all about extensions (even
though LaunchServices offer UTI APIs that fallback on using extensions).