[TxMt] Working with "$DIALOG", nib and shell

Matthew Richmond matthew at choppingblock.com
Sat Apr 11 02:49:40 UTC 2009

Greetings TextMate mailing list.
Forgive me if this is child's play, i searched the list archives
thoroughly before posting.

I am trying (for many hours now) to open a .nib file created in
Interface Builder using the "$DIALOG" command from a shell script. My
general objective is identical to the screencast Allan created in 2006
(http://tinyurl.com/df3m9r).

- Open a .nib file
- Wait for user to close nib or hit a ok button
- pass default parameters to the .nib
- capture user input from the .nib to be used later in the .sh file.

Currently i am trying to accomplish this with:

"$DIALOG" nib --load ~/Desktop/Test2.nib --center --model '{ classPath
= "foo"; }' --parameters '{}'

That usually opens the .nib window, when i close the window all i get
is an integer.

Then it usually stops working all together, no matter how many time i
try and execute the line of code (control - R) nothing happens, i have
tried what Allan suggests in the post "So either press ⌃D to
“close” stdin, or give -p '{}' as argument, and things should work
as expected." And i cant get it to work, if i trash TextMate prefs and
reinstall, it works for a bit more.

I am not yet as familiar with Ruby as i would like to be and i have an
immediate need to implement this within an existing bundle using
shell. The screencast made it look so nice and easy...

Best,
</matthew>

Matthew Richmond, Principal/Designer
The Chopping Block, Inc.
481 Broadway, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10013
p 212.463.7574
f 917.591.7584
http://choppingblock.com
http://chopshopstore.com