[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Adam Bryzak adam+textmate at bryzak.net
Mon Apr 6 03:46:26 UTC 2009

On 06/04/2009, at 1:31 PM, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 2009-Apr-4, at 12:38 AM, Bill Paxton wrote:
>
>> For files with an extension, I can get the system to use TextMate for
>> all files with that extension.
>> But I'd like something that works automatically for files without
>> extensions (like "newfile" in the example).
>
> Would you want `/bin/ls` to open in TextMate? Not that anyone would
> try that particular example, but there are plenty of things in my home
> directory (let alone the entire system) without extensions that
> shouldn't open in a text editor. A blind default isn't the answer.

While it wouldn't make sense for all extension-less files to open in
TextMate, it would to be able to change the default for files that
would normally open in TextEdit when double clicked to instead open in
another application. This would not affect executable files as their
default is to open using Tterminal. I mostly run into this issue with
open source software when opening README, LICENSE, NOTICE, etc. files,
which I now drag onto the dock to open.

Adam