[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

John Laudun jlaudun at mac.com
Sun Apr 5 14:13:36 UTC 2009

In Bill's defense, I have long had this problem with the Finder. If I
create a file in Textmate but assign it no extension, a blank document
icon is assigned the file and the default application -- no matter how
hard you try to change it through the Finder -- to open the file is
always TextEdit.

As many people have pointed out, this is indeed a Finder problem, but
it makes it no less frustrating for users who do not wish to have
extensions on text files. (In the old days, wasn't that what the
resource fork was for? And wasn't the promise of the modern OSes to
dispense with the file extension system?)

john