[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Apr 5 07:39:41 UTC 2009

The more I read this, the more it is becoming massively clear, this is
not a textmate issue at all.  You are on 10.5.6, which is known to
work, for what appears to be the better majority of users.

You have something strange going on with your system.  While there is
a chance TM is making it more apparent, file opening, either by drag
and drop or double click etc, are easily controlled by Mac OS X.

Curious what happens if you select a file and press command-O on the
keyboard, or command-downarrow.

At this point, I suggest you crete a new user account in OS X, login
to that account, and see if that solves it.  If that solved it, you
know it is a preference issue, a preference pane, or some input
manager or other installed item.

You can start picking around in your regular user folder to try to
solve it, which is not all that bad.  Move everything out of ~/Library/
Preferences, logout, login, see if that solves it.  Put a handful of
the prefs back in, log out, log in, see if the problem comes back.
Rinse and repeat until you have solved it.

If it is not user setting related, it is higher up in the preferences
chain of how OS X handles preferences.  At this point, I would just
clean reinstall and rebuild my system from scratch.  Takes me a few
hours to do so and be working, and then small fine tunes over the
course of the next few weeks, but I have a known clean machine.