[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Sat Apr 4 15:12:46 UTC 2009

HI Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion.   However rather than eventually getting
to a point where it opens in tm, it gets to a point where it just won't
open the file in anything!  It brings up this error when I do "open"
or when I double click on a newly created file without an extension.

	The document "newfile" could not be
	opened.  Help Viewer cannot open files of
	this type.

If I use "get info" to set the application for the file,
it does now list tm.   But in spite of that, double clicking the file
or doing 'open' in terminal both give the error mentioned above.

Now the only way I can open the file is by using the Open command in tm
or by doing "Open with" using the right button on the mouse.

Sigh....   This all worked fine on 10.4, but Apple has "improved"
things.

--Bill