[TxMt] Re: App used to record the TM screencasts

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Apr 3 21:54:41 UTC 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Panagiotis Atmatzidis wrote:

Well, I can guess they are using any of the record your screen apps.
I guess I feel just because they are using them does not mean they are
the best. :)  I see a number of deficiencies in those casts, at least,
the ones that are not 404.  Mainly, you can tell they have set screen
res to something pretty big, and are working working those confines.

What Screenflow does, is record what you do, but does not actually
record any video.  So all of what you do, the entire screen, and all
your actions are recorded.  This then gets put into a timeline, where
you edit it.  You can zoom in, make markers, zoom out, pan and follow,
and do whatever you want.

Only when you are done, do you render out the final video.  You are
never working with real video, but more recorded actions of what you
did.  I am hard pressed to find someone who does screen casts these
days that does not use it in some way in their workflow.

I think if you start with this demo, you will get and idea of the ease
and power.  I was up and running after watching a few of their tutorials
http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/demos.htm

If you want something free and still good, but with no zoom and just
the ability to record video and audio full or sub screen, check out
Jing, which will also host the files for free.
http://www.jingproject.com/

Hope that helps.