[TxMt] Re: can TextMate (ruby) lose its mind?

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Fri Apr 3 03:24:16 UTC 2009

On 4/2/09 12:44 PM, in article
7F36DBCB-519A-43DF-8B9C-D15814DDA598 at rosiba.com, "Alex Ross"
<tm-alex at rosiba.com> wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> This really just happened to me. Really. I know I produced some
>> April Fools
>> jokes yesterday, but that was yesterday. This is real.
>>
>> I created this Ruby script in TextMate:
>>
>> s = "wackamole"
>> puts s
>>
>> I ran it, and the RubyMate output window displayed:
>>
>> woe
>>
>> Weird, eh? And it is part of a longer story; the string "wag wag"
>> was being
>> displayed as "w w", and the string "ruff ruff" was being displayed
>> as empty.
>> (Never mind why I was testing those strings.)
>>
>> I quit TextMate, restarted my computer, and everything is back to
>> normal.
>> But would anyone like to suggest a cause for what happened? Cosmic
>> rays?
>> Belated April Fools day easter-egg-type joke?? The conficker
>> virus??? Has
>> anyone else ever seen anything like this? m.
>
> It could have been a WebKit bugŠ WebKit is used to render the html
> output window, and it has been known to behave strangely from time to
> time.  Another possibility is that your font caches had become
> corrupted.  Either of these problem could have been corrected be a
> reboot.

Quite sensible suggestions, really. Thanks!

The curious thing is that later in the day TextMate began crashing on a
different machine! The crashes *did* seem to be a font problem. Restarting
seemed to help there, too. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!