[TxMt] Re: Another problem with snippets

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Sep 17 18:54:35 UTC 2008

On 17.09.2008, at 19:36, Guido Governatori wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have another problem with snippets.
>
> I have defined the snippet
>
> ^{$1}$0
>
> for inserting LaTeX superscripts. The snippet is bounded to the ^ key.
> However, with some keyboard (French and Italian and possibly more), ^
> is an active key to insert accented letter. When the snippet is used
> with such keyboards after typing ^ one correctly have ^{} with the
> caret inside the curly brackets, but when one types, for example 2,
> the result is ^{^{}}.
>
> Any way to prevent this (beside changing the trigger for the snippet)

As far as i know there is no way to prevent this. If a dead key is
activated it waits as long as for an other key which fits with ^ like
'a' for â.
My simple solution was to throw away my German keyboard. I'm using an
US-keyboard with US or USext Input Method. To write accented
characters is rather simple with both Input Methods.

An other option would be to use the Keyboard Layout Editor Ukelele:
http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele
Then you take your, I guess, Italian keyboard layout as default and
change only the key binding for ^ to be a non-dead key. Save this as
Italian (Guido) or whatever and install it. (see Ukelele's help)

--Hans