[TxMt] Re: Automatic vs. manual tabs

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 9 15:51:15 UTC 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> In TextMate, buffer tabs are automatic: A new tab is always opened
> whenever you click on a file in a project drawer.  After a half hour
> of navigating source code, I suddenly find dozens of tabs open at
> the top of my editor window, but I can only see a few of them. This
> makes the tabs feature basically unusable.

You might try Ciaran Walsh's QuickLook in TextMate and TextMate in
QuickLook plugins (http://ciaranwal.sh/2007/11/15/quicklook-and-
textmate).  With these installed, you can click on a file in the
project drawer, and, using the QuickLook item from the contextual
menu, open the file in QuickLook.  It will still be rendered using
TextMate as an engine (if you install the latter plugin), and, after
you're done with it, you're not left with an open tab.

-- Phil