[TxMt] Automatic vs. manual tabs

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Mon Sep 8 22:16:33 UTC 2008

In TextMate, buffer tabs are automatic: A new tab is always opened
whenever you click on a file in a project drawer. After a half hour of
navigating source code, I suddenly find dozens of tabs open at the top
of my editor window, but I can only see a few of them. This makes the
tabs feature basically unusable.

In contrast, web browser tabs operate quite differently. They're
manual instead of automatic: A new tab doesn't open unless you
explicitly open one. Until then, new data is displayed in the current
tab. TextMate's tab feature would be much more useful to me if it
worked this way --- the way web browsers do.

Does anyone prefer the current (automatic) behavior?

Trevor