[TxMt] Re: latex pgfplots cannot find gnuplot tables

Brad Miller millbr02 at luther.edu
Tue Sep 2 12:09:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Charilaos Skiadas <cskiadas at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2008, at 5:48 AM, Graham Smith wrote:
>
> > Charilaos
> >

> >> This is almost certainly a path issue. First off, open the file again
> >> in TextMate, and press "opt-cmd-," which opens up the LaTeX
> >> preferences. Then click on the "Verbose TeX output" option, and type
> >> "-shell-escape" without the quotes in the Options box.
> >
> > In fact this was all that was needed, it now works perfectly  :-)
>
> Glad to hear it!
>
> It might be worth for us to consider enabling the flag by default
> when certain packages are included. For instance, we could search for
> pgfplots inclusion in the document, and automatically enable -shell-
> escape in that case. Right now, you would have that enabled for all
> your files unless you change it back each time, and presumably having
> it enabled has security consequences. Any thoughts from other more
> experiences LaTeX users? Are there other packages that need -shell-
> escape? Brad, what's your view?

I don't know how people feel about the security issue, but the online docs
I've found are pretty clear about not enabling --shell-escape for documents
you haven't written yourself.  I rarely download tex source and typeset it
so this is not a big deal for me.   Although texMate could auto-enable the
shell-escape option by detecting certain packages it would have no way of
knowing whether the user had written the document or not.  Perhaps a middle
ground would be to put up a warning if one of the packages is included and
the user has not enabled shell-escape.

Rather than setting the global option to enable shell-escape users can also
insert the following line at the top of their document:
%!TEX TS-options = --shell-escape

This can be done manually or by using the File Preferences menu in the latex
bundle.

Brad