[TxMt] Re: some problems using textmate

Tim Rand timrandg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 05:14:40 UTC 2008

1.  The file type (which determines the bundle that textmate uses for your
file) needs to be set for a given file. I would imagine the inconsistent
coloring is because some of the files have not been assigned a type and
therefore don't know to use a bundle and get colored. Use the bar at the
bottom. There is a drop down menu that should list the file type. On the
uncolored files you mention the file type is likely listed as plain text,
change it to 'ruby on rails.'

2. Folder issue--> I don't know why the tree is collapsing after switching
from textmate and coming back in. My tree doesn't change. The folder state
does just stay the same for me.

3. The problem with autocompletion is likely the same as 1. Textmate uses
bundles to determine what shortcuts you need for your particular language.
autocompletion works by typing the first three letters, hitting tab, and
allowing the bundle to determine the options from there. If there is only
one, the completion finishes. Otherwise you select from the choices. There
is also an esc key driven completion which functions slightly
differently--it is used for finishing words, variable names etc.--but
doesn't insert the code syntax the way that tab does. Try both out after
setting the file type as in #1.
Happy Railing,
Tim