[TxMt] Re: PyMate and Python 3.0rc1

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Wed Oct 15 09:30:58 UTC 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:20 AM, Domenico Carbotta wrote:

>> The Python developpers suggest to use 2.x as long as you can, and use
>> the conversion tools to translate existing code from 2.x to 3.0 code
>> whenever 3.0 is ready.
>
> that sure is an interesting take -- if I state I want to use python 3
> here and now, will guido come and grab me by the jacket, shouting "use
> it if you dare!" in that sweet dutch accent of his? ;)
>
> anyway, what I meant was PyMate should include the appropriate flavor
> of sitecustomize (the current, 2.x-compatible version or the modified,
> 3.x-compatible version) -- this can be readily obtained by placing the
> two different versions in two different folders, and inserting the
> appropriate folder in the PYTHONPATH environment variable.

it should be possible to just put all in the same file, but branch
immediately after checking the python version.  this is what i had
done in my partially working sitecustomize.py for python 3 that i
abandoned :).

domenico, there was a compatibility problem that i couldn't find a
workaround for.  i think that it had something to do with STDOUT /
STDERR not being initialized properly when sitecustomize.py got loaded
and so I couldn't set them to unicode streams.  did they fix that?

—Alex