[TxMt] Re: PyMate and Python 3.0rc1

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at dckd.nl
Tue Oct 14 14:09:43 UTC 2008

Domenico Carbotta wrote:
> the diff file attached to this message describes the changes needed to
> make PyMate compatible with Python 3.0; it also migrates from the %
> string formatting operator to the new str.format function, as
> recommended by the Python 3.0 documentation.
>
> sadly the changes are not backwards compatible (valid Python 2.x code is
> not necessarily valid Python 3.x code and vice versa), so some sorts of
> version check should be put in place -- I'll leave that to the senior
> mantainers of the bundle.

The Python developpers suggest to use 2.x as long as you can, and use
the conversion tools to translate existing code from 2.x to 3.0 code
whenever 3.0 is ready.

So I vote that the Python bundle should support 2.x as long as possible.
Python 3.0 support should probably be done in at least a separate
syntax, and perhaps even a different bundle?

Jeroen.