[TxMt] Re: Latex bundle bug (was HTML-output-window just looks plain wrong)

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Wed Oct 8 17:20:44 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:38 AM, enas wrote:
>
>> On 7 Oct 2008, at 22:32, Alex Ross wrote:
>>>
>>> You must set up your PATH variable in TextMate's preference panel.
>>> —Alex
>>
>> I had the same problem and that resolved it as well. Why is it that
>> we
>> must set the PATH variable now? Didn't it use to work out of the box
>> before the last revision?
>
> In previous versions, a shell script was run before most commands,
> which tried to make the environment that the commands see be the same
> as the one the Terminal sees. This involved sourcing files
> like .bash_profile etc. These files often expect that they are run by
> a terminal application, with complications ensuing some times. Allan
> and others can probably explain this better, but the bottom line is
> that a GUI application could get into trouble sometimes for sourcing
> these shell configuration files. It was thought better therefore to
> slowly drop the support on such files, and move to this alternative
> system. I guess this was the version where the plug was finally
> pulled.

Sourcing .bash_profile is also the source of some bizarre bugs.
TextMate's Support folder has a builder.rb and this is in conflict
with a standard ruby library of the same name.  Another user had a
`bash` in his .profile which caused all textmate commands to call bash
recursively until an exception occurred.  You can imagine how long it
took for us to figure THAT one out in ##textmate.

> So it is not just the PATH variable that needs to be set, it's
> everything else you might need that is defined in .bash_profile.
> Unless I'm mistaken, I've been on the sidelines lately.

For most TextMate commands it is mostly just the PATH variable that
needs to be initialized.

—Alex