[TxMt] Re: TextMate for sysadmins

Andrea Crotti kerny404 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:11:12 UTC 2008

Rob McBroom wrote:

> Have you heard of Puppet?
>
>   <http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/AboutPuppet>
>
> I'm about to start using it where I work. It might take care of most
> of the things you're looking to do via TM. Now, if someone would
> create a grammar for Puppet config files… :)
>

> I prefer LDAP for this because:
>
>    * LDAP commands are on most systems by default
>    * manipulating the data is just a matter of editing text
>    * many things (Postfix, Puppet, sudo) can use LDAP without
> modification
>    * most scripting languages have LDAP support
>
> So, I can use custom scripts to make things easier, but if I find
> myself on a system without them, I can still do just about anything
> the "long way". If you ever want something pretty, you could always
> auto-generate some HTML or Latex based on what's in LDAP. Contact me
> directly if you want more details.

I'm really interested in how to put documentation on the ldap server.
Now I have a number of chapters each one representing a logical part of the
server documentation (ldap, mail, samba) etc and custom scripts to get the
configuration files updated etc etc..
Now I would also like to put images for the most common configurations to do
(with the windows clients), how could I do that with ldap?

I already use ldap for the shared address book and for authentication of
users, so I already know how to work with it..

Puppet is really interesting, I will give it a try!
I tried the "disable gain focus" plugin and I don't get those sort of errors
anymore, now it's confortable to edit files over sshfs...