[TxMt] toggling pairs as in VI

chad gulley cag at adfitech.com
Sun May 25 14:05:26 UTC 2008

On May 25, 2008, at May 25, 2008  |  8:21 AM, Pete Becker wrote:

> On May 25, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Phil Schumm wrote:
>
>> On May 25, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Peter Rossi wrote:
>>> I realize that textmate implements automatic pairing of delimiters
>>> such as parentheses.  However, this does not prevent you from
>>> removing one of the paired parentheses etc during the editing
>>> process.  In vi, I would use "%" to toggle between open and close
>>> delimiters to debug syntax.  I can't find a similar feature in
>>> textmate.
>>

>> Have you noticed that when you "pass over" the closing paren/brace/
>> bracket/quote, the opening one will blink?  By pass over, I mean
>> either (1) typing the closing character TextMate has already
>> inserted for you, or (2) using the arrow key to move right over the
>> closing character.  If you don't get a blink, then the closing
>> paren/brace/bracket/quote is unmatched.  This won't help you if the
>> opening character is not on the screen, but works pretty well (IMO)
>> for double-checking on your way out of a complex, nested expression.
>>

> Another handy trick is Shift-Command-B, which selects the text
> between parens, etc. as well as the delimiters themselves. Repeating
> it expands to the next level of delimiters, etc.
>
>  -- Pete
>
> Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd.

peter r,

i have recently begun using textmate over my beloved vim.  i have
searched for the "%" equivalent for a while now.  i have found two
things that get me close to what we are used to in vim.  as pete above
mentioned, the Shift-Command-B is quite handy.  i have also found that
Option-Down Arrow is useful.  i use it when i'm on the opening line of
a large function or statment.  if you go to the beginning of the line,
then hit Option-Down Arrow, it will take you to the first line after
the function or statement.  i would love to see matching braces
functionality in textmate, but i have found that these two methods can
accomplish most of the same things.

chad