[TxMt] New ruby method for opening processes.

Luke Daley ld at ldaley.com
Tue May 20 11:40:22 UTC 2008

Hi again,

I have added process.rb to Support/lib. It has a single method,
TextMate::Process.run() that can be used to gracefully handle opening
processes and capturing their output. I would encourage everyone to
use it if you are scripting processes. Especially if you want the
process to take advantage of the interactive input features which
should be released sometime in the near future. If processes are
opened with this method, then they should benefit from any other
features that are added for dealing with processes over time.

There is a blurb in the file on how to use it. Would be interested to
hear any comments you might have on it.

Just to clarify the implication of this…

In the next release of TM on (once the bundles have been updated to
use TextMate::Process.open()) whenever a process requests input, a
dialog will be presented to the user giving them a chance to enter
input. The classic use case for this is the Subversion bundle. No more
never ending commits while svn is waiting for you to enter your
credentials.

LD.