[TxMt] Feature Idea: Selectable TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu May 1 10:02:46 UTC 2008

On 26 Apr 2008, at 04:54, Luke Daley wrote:

> I would like to be able to active a directory withtin the project to
> be the TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY until deactivated or another directory
> activated.
>
> Use case: With maven it's common to have a master project with lots
> of modules, sometimes you want to target a command to a particular
> sub module, not the master module which is the TM project.
>
> You could argue that the commands should be smart about using the
> project drawer selection, but IMO this can be confusing when dealing
> with multiple selections.

Well, explicitly setting a “designated project folder” will be an
option in the future (seeing how TM moves to a file browser instead of
a jailed project folder), but I think that commands should not rely on
users to change this, to have the commands work on a subset.

IMO letting commands work with the variables like this, for “what to
process”, makes the most sense:

     TM_SELECTED_FILES
     TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY
     TM_FILEPATH
     TM_DIRECTORY

I do feel that lack of an abstraction for “what to work on” has caused
bundles to use varying heuristics for this, which is bad, but I am not
sure it makes sense to introduce an abstraction with so few variables,
also because sometimes we do want to make an exception to the above
precedence order.