[TxMt] balance braces

Artie Ziff artie.ziff at gmail.com
Thu May 1 05:39:10 UTC 2008

> Done. For HTML & XML that is.
> Check out the Experimental bundle.
>     http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/Bundles/Experimental.tmbundle/

That's great to know about. It does a minimum of the "balance"
functionality, IMHO. However, it appears to be some what finicky
regarding which side of the brace one's cursor is on. So it's clunky at
best. Though I am happy to learn about the single level of balance
feature that it offers. It will be useful for occasional use. A former
user of the "the app formerly known as the mac programmers first choice"
would expect a much more refined implementation.

For a more refined version, imagine expanding the first selection
wider... to the next larger scope of balanced braces by repeating the
keystroke, and again.

And then picture using your mouse to click once on any brace and the
respective block of code is selected to balance the brace that was
selected with the mouse. (up or down the document) [[ actually it's a
single mouse-down while a modifier key is pressed.]]

I think those features are useful when surfing through new code written
by someone else.   :)

I am presuming Allan would be needed for some of those aspects.
Though if the internal architecture of Textmate does not support this
feature, then that is understandable.

Cheers!