[TxMt] General question on DIALOG2

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Sat Mar 29 14:25:49 UTC 2008

On 28 Mar 2008, at 17:07, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

>> Also, the D2 plug-in is currently dependent on latest D1 from the
>> svn repository for the compatibility mode to work correctly.
> What do you mean?

This is because of the DIALOG variable which MUST point to the D2 plug-
in helper. If D1 is initialized after D2 it will overwrite D2’s
variable. We made a change in D1 to prevent this.

>> Just don’t use Leopard-only stuff in patches you intend to submit
>> (for now). Or if you do, be sure it gracefully degrades to Tiger.
> No, up to now everything is compatible with Tiger. But there should
> be a way to write Leopard code and mark this as "only compile it
> with SDK 10.5", but I cannot remember how.

AFAIK you must compile with the 10.4u SDK on Leopard, otherwise it
will link to the new mangled symbols for general UNIX stuff (not
present on Tiger) — making it hard to use Leopard-only API (at least
outside Cocoa, where you can’t rely on just dynamically querying
message receivers).

Maybe there is a way to prevent that and still use the 10.5 SDK, I
have not looked into that.