[TxMt] General question on DIALOG2

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Fri Mar 28 15:16:09 UTC 2008

On 28 Mar 2008, at 10:50, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2008, at 10:30, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:
>> as you know TM 2.0 will be Leopard only. Fine. But what about
>> DIALOG2? Should DIALOG2 also compiled as Leopard only?

Not if we release it with TM 1.x (and that is the current plan,
although I am being a little slow in responding to ciaran and
joachim’s requests wrt a 1.x update).

>> With the new SDK 10.5 you have some "tiny" improvements to enhance
>> DIALOG2.
>
> I tried to answer this question by myself.
> Thus I tried to compile DIALOG2 against SDK 10.5 and I set the
> deployment target to SDK 10.4 in order to use some of the new
> feature coming with Leopard also with Tiger.
>
> [BTW I had to rename the method initWithOptions in CLIProxy

The problem with that one is that +alloc returns ‘id’ and Apple
introduced a method also named initWithOptions: but taking another
argument type, so gcc errors because of wrong type.

IMO this should be a gcc warning about ambiguous type overload for the
selector, but Apple disagrees with me, so either we should probably
name it initWithOptionsDictionary: or we should typecast the result of
+alloc to CLIProxy*.

> Fine. On Leopard DIALOG2 runs perfectly. E.g. I could append an
> accessory view to Alert.
>
> Then I tried to run this DIALOG2.tmplugin on Tiger. But here I only
> get the error message:
> error reaching server

I recently updated the code to find the server name (now the server
name is dynamic). Did you compile latest svn version of both the plug-
in and the helper command?

Also, the D2 plug-in is currently dependent on latest D1 from the svn
repository for the compatibility mode to work correctly.

> Is there no way to compile DIALOG2 on/for Tiger anymore?
> Are my settings wrong?

I have not tested this myself, unless you need it to work on both
systems you can leave it be for now and I or someone else will do the
proper testing when it is time for a release.

Just don’t use Leopard-only stuff in patches you intend to submit (for
now). Or if you do, be sure it gracefully degrades to Tiger.