[TxMt] Dialog2/ AppleScript public API

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu Mar 27 03:20:06 UTC 2008

On 26 Mar 2008, at 18:47, Tim Harper wrote:

> What's this about the Dialog2 bundle... and what's this I hear about
> a public AppleScript API for textmate (as mentioned in a commit to
> the Dialog2 bundle)?

Dialog2 is just v2 of Dialog1 :)

The major difference is that it is modular, so syntax is “$DIALOG
options, making it a pain to extend (and made all the patches I
received touch all files rather than just be a self-contained
extension).

Making it modular of course means that contributions are made simpler,
so V2 has HTML tool-tips and type-to-filter pop-up menus (ideal for
completion).

As for AppleScript, TextMate effectively just support a single command
in addition to a few standard suite things.

> Can someone enlighten me and possibly post a link, or two?  I'd like
> to learn about Dialog2, specifically if it can help with the git
> bundle.

Checkout http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/branches/WIP/Tools/Dialog2/
somewhere, open one of the source files in TextMate and press ⌘B to
build it (or use Xcode :) ).

Relaunch TextMate and execute (with ⌃R in a new document): "$DIALOG"
help

This should show help for the presently 6 commands.

> I'm really interested to know if any of the following are possible:
> [...]

No, don’t think you will find much help in D2 for the Git bundle.

I see the value of your (implicit) requests though :)