[TxMt] Ruby vs. Ruby on Rails file detection.

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:02:57 UTC 2008

On 3/19/08, James Gray <james at grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>  > I've got both a personal MacBook, and a work MacBook pro, each with
>  > licensed copies of TextMate.
>

> It probably doesn't help now, but just FYI the TextMate license is
>  attached to you the user (not the machine).  Thus, you are allowed to
>  use it on multiple machines.
>

>  > Normal .rb files are coming up as Ruby rather than Ruby on Rails.
>

> Just open a .rb file and switch the language menu at the bottom of the
>  window to Ruby on Rails.  TextMate needs the hint to know you want to
>  use the Rails grammar, but after you tell it once it will remember.

I know, but the problem is that when you make a manual association,
then any file ending in .rb will be treated that way, overriding
anything in the language definitions in bundles.

The RSpec bundle has a language file which recognizes files ending in
_spec.rb as being rspec(ruby) files.  Alan's article describes how to
set things up so that this works by giving the Language specification
in the Ruby on Rails bundle preference over the just plain Ruby
language.

Yes it means that if I'm editing a ruby file which isn't part of a
rails app, I get some stuff which I don't really need, but I can live
with that until Textmate supports somewhat smarter language detection
which might take the project and maybe even the file path into
account.

And as I said, I did find the fileType in the Ruby language in the
Ruby Bundle, so it's all working the same way on both machines.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/