[TxMt] using textmate with macports python

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 17:44:18 UTC 2008

On 2008-March-15  , at 17:55 , Jay Soffian wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Alan Curtis
> <alan.curtis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How do I use textmate with the macports python which is
>>
>> /opt/local/bin/python2.4
>
> TextMate -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Shell Variables
>
> Variable  | Value
> ----------+-------------------------
> TM_PYTHON | /opt/local/bin/python2.4

Or if you want all you GUI apps to benefit from the newer/alternative
versions (of python, ruby, whatever...) that you have in MacPorts, add
MacPorts' path to ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
<key>PATH</key>
         <string>/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Developer/Tools:/usr/
local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin</string>

Some will probably consider that evil since it changes the defaults
for every app on your system. I personally consider that when I
install a newer version of some program, I actually mean to use it ;)
(and not necessarily only on the command line). The caveat could be
that some apps rely on the older versions provided by Apple with the
system. I have used this settings for more than a year, in Tiger and
Leopard and never noticed a hiccup (I had macports version of perl,
python and ruby on Tiger, not so much on Leopard since Apple updated
all those).

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/