[TxMt] which version control system to take?

Christoph Held prion67 at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 1 11:49:15 UTC 2008

Many thanks everyone. Consensus seems to be - there is no consensus (Yay,
emacs rules :-) )
Much seems to depend upon what you want to do with whatever VCS you end up
using. Since I am no programmer, much of the power of the various systems
may be wasted on me, yet some tiny feature that seems unimportant in the
context of maintaining code may make a big difference to what *I* want it to
do.

Mark, what made you choose  git over the other DVCS for actual writing? What
do you mean by cherry picking? Do Mercurial, SVN and bazaar give you less
control over what changes willl be kept during a merge? This would indeed be
an important difference as merging writings of coauthors will be daily life
rather than the exception.

For the moment distributed sounds good to me, simply because I tend to work
most efficiently when I am isolated from phone, lab etc. Being able to keep
versioning during that time, too, would be a big plus in my book.

Christoph