[TxMt] Re: unicode issue with QuickLook on Leopard

Vincent Noel vincent.noel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 10:33:11 UTC 2008

> Sadly I find that some parts of the OS still assume stuff to be in MacRoman¹
> if not explictly told otherwise (and some stuff can't even safely be told
> otherwise, like pbcopy/pbpaste).
>
> I'd encourage you to file an enhancement report with
> http://bugreport.apple.com/ -- Leopard has moved several things to UTF-8
> (like osascript), but some stuff is still lacking. Explictly tagging text
> files with extended attributes to tell the systme that they are UTF-8 is IMO
> very wrong, especially given that UTF-8 can be recognized with 99.999999%
> certainty (so even if one disagrees about making it the standard encoding,
> it can still be at least detected safely without mistakenly treating e.g. a
> MacRoman file as UTF-8).

I will file a bug. Thanks for the advice.

Still, it's seems like a pretty big screwup on Apple's part,
especially in user-visible 'new' features like Quicklook. It's
especially weird that it seems somebody noticed the problem, and
decided to fix it using extended attributes when more standards tools
(e.g. the 'file' command) are perfectly able to identify utf8 without
non-standard trickery...

Cheers