[TxMt] Re: Feature Request for Bundle Init

Tue Jun 24 21:56:17 UTC 2008

On 19 Jun 2008, at 10:16, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

> for some bundles I wrote I came across that it would be nice to have a
> kind of a "init procedure" for bundles.
> [...]

I think this is not very useful. E.g. user may install via svn, may
manually install (w/o doubleclick), may receive an update to an
already installed bundle, bundle requirements may change after the
update etc.

Better to just have Support/check_dependencies and call that from each
command, and that script will then do the necessary prompting e.g. for
downloading additional resources.

That said, I am looking into a more formalized dependency system so
e.g. the entire Git bundle (sans Help) can be marked to require git,
or we can have a bundle require Leopard etc.  But these things require
rather free-form dependency management and resolution, and already
commands can handle that… The benefit will more be in the user
interaction department (and removing the per-item require_cmd).

I know it wasn’t exactly requirements you were asking about, just sort
of related…