[TxMt] Non-contiguous selection

Patrick James pj002 at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 13:26:30 UTC 2008

Hi

I've just started using TextMate and I'm hugely impressed by it. My
text editor requirements are not very sophisticated, I use it mostly
for HTML/CSS and for processing text from time to time from databases,
or transcripts of online meetings with chat clients, that kind of
thing. I'm sure that I will be using TextMate for my simple
AppleScript writing as well now in preference to Apple's rather basic
Script Editor.

I have been using BBEdit for ages and I feel it is a very fine text
editor indeed, however TextMate is a bit of genius.

Before I used BBEdit I used the Nisus Writer word processor for text
editing in the classic Mac OS. Although a word processor Nisus Writer
was a superb text editor and, like TextMate offered many truly unique
abilities. Nisus also made a text editor called QUED/M which predated
their word processor and had similar unique abilities of their word
processor.

One of the truly great things about Nisus Writer and QUED/M was the
non-contiguous text selection and the way in which Nisus had exploited
this.

I think Nisus were the first with non-contiguous text selection but
today it is quite common-place. An obvious example is Apple's TextEdit
which will do non-contiguous text selection. If you are not familiar
with it then you can open an TextEdit document and put it in 'rich
text' mode if it is not already. Then put some text into it. Now you
can select non-contiguous words in that text using command-click. Now
that you have selected those words you can press command-B on your
keyboard and those words will turn bold.

I'm now going to describe how Nisus exploited non-contiguous text
selection and why it was so very useful.

If you imagine that you have some text which is intended for a web-
site. Within the text are various book titles and you wish to surround
these with the <em> tag. There is nothing at all about the words of
the book titles which is similar. Well with Nisus Writer you would
select the book titles non-contiguously, using command-click, then you
would get out the Find dialogue and put in the Find field:

.+

In the Replace field:

<em>&<em>

(The & matching all of the Find field)

Then you invoke 'Replace in Selection' and each piece of non-
contiguously selected text is now surrounded by <em> tags.

In Nisus Writer you would turn that operation into a macro and now you
can apply the <em> tags to any non-contiguously selected text with
great ease.

Now it gets cleverer :)

In the example above the replaced text, the book titles surrounded by
<em> is still selected after the Find/Replace has been performed. This
means that further GREP Find/Replace can by performed using 'Replace
in Selection.

With a programme like BBEdit a search for multiple items in a file
will produce a browser identifying the search results. However with
Nisus Writer a search for multiple items in a file will leave them
selected non-contiguously in the file. This enables you to perform a
further search on those non-contiguous selections with 'Replace in
Selection' again.

To give an example.

I think it is nice to have smart quotes in the displayed text in a web-
site. To do this I have to use HTML entities. The actual text I have
contains 'stupid' quotes, however I can create a Find/Replace that
will look for the 'stupid' quotes and replace them with 'smart quote'
HTML entities depending on whether they come before or after words.

The problem is that there are many 'stupid' quotes in the HTML tags
for things like class="main".

What I need to do is to find the text between the HTML tags and then
replace the 'stupid' quotes in that with the smart quote HTML entities.

To do this in BBEdit I created an AppleScript which has a loop. It
finds the first instance of 'text between HTML tags' and then replaces
'stupid' quotes with smart quote HTML tags. Then it finds the next
instance of 'text between HTML tags' and so on...

To do that required me to create quite a clunking AppleScript.

However in Nisus Writer I could do it with two simple Find/Replace
operations. Because Nisus Writer had non-contiguous selection of
course. I could find all the instances of 'text between HTML tags' and
know that this was selected. Then I could use 'Replace in Selection'
to replace all the 'stupid' quotes with smart quote HTML entities. For
Nisus Writer this was an absolutely trivial matter.

So, the moral of my story is that in a text editor with GREP Find/
Replace having non-contiguous text selection brings a massive amount
of additional text editing power.

Patrick