[TxMt] Re: Writing a Book with TextMate

marios tmtxpstuff at consking.com
Fri Jun 20 18:23:39 UTC 2008

Nando Vieira wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2008, at 12:20 PM, marios wrote:
>
>>> Suggestions, links and resources welcome
>
> Just read the thread today. I built a Ruby gem that handles book
> writing process with Textile or Markdown.

That sounds good, since I operate textile markup from the web-side,
which always tended to hold me back to completely switch to markdown.
( Which I would prefer, since it is easier to type )
> You can generate a PDF using the Prince XML which cost 495USD (the
> free version adds a small logo at the first page).

Wasn't aware of the price tag difference ( I think I had confused it
with a Server license )

> If you're writing a programming book, the code can be highlighted
> using your preferred Textmate theme.

> I'm using it to write my RSpec book right now. Footnotes are supported
> and I working on the indexes system and TOC.

I will not have code, but footnotes and references.
Some automatic index updating for TOC's from headers would be
interesting though.
> The best part is that you can layout your book professionally using CSS.

I think, that is indeed useful. You might want to release some free
samples as teasers for your book, before even thinking to contact a
publisher, and I had this in mind from the beginning.

> Check it out: http://github.com/fnando/bookmaker

Very nice, it seems that more and more options are coming together, so
thanks for that.

> Don't know if somebody has suggested similar way, 'cause I haven't
> read the whole thread yet!

regards, marios