[TxMt] Re: Suggestion for the Latex Bundle

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 07:59:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Christian wrote:
> Am 04.06.2008 um 15:52 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> I don't know exactly (don't use LaTeX any more), but just as a hint:
>> since Babel is not being developed & maintained any more, [...]
>
> Why should Babel not be developed and maintained any more?
> Its status on CTAN is active and the last manual is dated 1.April 2008.

I don't know why. (People change interests, people have families, ...)
If I take a look at changes, there have indeed been some minor
modifications made lately, but the most painful part is that the
package is ignoring the existence of XeTeX (& LuaTeX) completely, to
the extent that a new package Polyglossia had to be made (one needs to
\usepackage[german]{polyglossia} instead of babel in XeTeX) - it would
have been much better to cope with XeTeX inside Babel, but many people
ware complaining that whenever they wanted to push some change into
Babel, they got no response from the author.

Maybe someone else should try some more luck. I must admit that I have
never tried to contact him.

Mojca