[TxMt] Concatenating multiple Files

Joseph Pecoraro joepeck02 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:49:32 UTC 2008

Hey marios,

I wish I had more time to investigate this (I'm already up way, way
too late) but this sounded like a great excuse for me to check out
Ruby's Hpricot gem:
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/

Install with:
sudo gem install hpricot

If you're comfortable with Ruby you can write a script that will loop
through each of your html files and print out their content.  You can
easily do some nifty stuff with the Hpricot ruby gem.  For starters I
wrote this ruby script which you can open up in TextMate, change the
DIR_PATH variable, and run with command+R to see what kind of output
you would get. Note that in my script (linked below) I don't strip out
a footer from each html file, that would take a pinch more work, take
a look at (hpricot/path).remove function... so if they all have a
#footer you can remove that before printing the body!)
http://pastie.textmate.org/private/fvwjqdr42iwlreqsgxqoa

There are some issues you'll have to look out for to end up with a
"valid" html document in the end.  Make sure you don't reuse id's,
don't have duplicate <script>s near the bottom of the page, the list
goes on.  But I think you are aware of these issues.

If you had a shell script in mind I guess you could string together
files with cat, but that won't strip out the headers/footers.  You
could write a quick awk/sed script but this seems much less effective
then using an HTML parser like Hpricot.

I hope this helps,
- Joe P