[TxMt] Re: Actual Forum?

podperson tloewald at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:09:58 UTC 2008

Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> In a forum you (or the person controlling the forum) decides how it
> looks to me, how I search it, how I interact etc.

I think it's easier to customize forums (or provide themes) than to write
your own email client.

With a mailing list
> I decide how it is presented, filtered, organised, searched.  With a
> mailing list I also have a standard storage form to work with (an
> RFC822 message), with a forum its all locked up in someones little
> paradise....

Yes, the web is a much less useful standard than RFC822.

Even if you get the "ideal" forum software, your ideal may not be my
> ideal.

Your ideal isn't my ideal since my ideal is not a mailing list.

You can tell me how to do those things if you wish, however my
> response will be "fuck off" unless I an close enough to just hit you.

So if you're telling me that by switching to forums I'll be missing out on
this high level of discourse, I don't think you're making much of a point.

Frankly forums are implemented by people who misunderstand mailing
> lists.

"Frankly"? I think you mean "In my opinion".

The word "frankly" implies that, up to this point, you have been
dissembling. I might accuse you of many things but I wasn't going to include
dishonesty.

So if you tell me that I need to use a forum the answer is "Over your
> dead body!"  (and yes the pronoun is correct).

Wow, first expletive now death threats. I definitely vote for whatever
format is least likely to involve Nigel.