[TxMt] Re: Actual Forum?

Hamster hexserve at databeestjes.net
Wed Jul 30 13:25:41 UTC 2008

On 30 Jul 2008, at 15:15, podperson wrote:

> Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>> By my opinion that's point. What's the main difference between a
>> forum
>> and a mailing list? Actually I don't see a difference.
>
> There's no difference, but you're against forums.

Err actually there's a huge difference between forums and mailing lists.

On a forum you can't sort and organise posts.

On a mailing list I can delete the threads I'm not interested in, I
can move the ones with helpful tips into one folder, I can move
messages relating to particular topics into other folders and
basically organise the incoming emails into whatever system works best
for me. I can block emails from people that I don't want to hear from,
I can set entire threads to ignore.

And if I don't want to have the mails locally, I don't have to do that
either. I can just read them via imap.

Forums are just page after page after page of HTML links. I can't move
them around, organise them or delete them.

To me, that's a huge difference and the reason I don't like forums. I
can't organise anything to my liking - mailing lists are far more
flexible.

H.