[TxMt] Re: Actual Forum?

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jul 29 08:21:11 UTC 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 09:37, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 29/07/2008, at 4:59 PM, Hamster wrote:
>
>> On 29 Jul 2008, at 00:16, podperson wrote:
>>
>>> I know there are people who (for some reason) prefer mailing lists
>>> to actual
>>> forums, but I'd like to cast my vote for a proper forum.
>>
>> Hi, I'd like to register my preference for staying with a mailing
>> list. I find forums horribly unmanageable.
>
> Don't forget: a Google group can be accessed either as a mailing
> list or a forum. You can either post to the list via a web form or
> through your email client. Ditto for browsing. It's not just the
> best of both worlds, it *is* both worlds.

By my opinion that's point. What's the main difference between a forum
and a mailing list? Actually I don't see a difference. Why should we
change it thus? Mailing lists are in some sense clean structured
without any fancy stuff and ads. If you like a forum-like view switch
to view threaded or use an app which can displayed it.
The next point is if you want to follow a discussion on a mobile
device (like my iPhone) it is much easier to use a mailing list than
to browse to a forum. Then it's often the case that forums allow to
create sub-categories to be "clearly arranged". But this could lead to
be confusing, and sometimes I do not know where to post my question.

Furthermore I'm often in areas of the world where I have limited
access to the internet and with a very low bandwidth. In order to
follow a list I'm using the good old UNIX pine to read my mails
without any fancy images etc.

And regarding to Google groups. Well, these are not bad, but you find
the word "Google" in it. What happens if Google will become insolvent ;)

Thus I plead to use a minimalist mailing list.

--Hans