[TxMt] Speeding up Xcode builds

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Sun Jul 27 17:52:07 UTC 2008

I like to build and run my Xcode projects using the "Build & Run"
command from the Xcode bundle, both for convenience and because my
debug output and exceptions are formatted in such a way that it can be
clicked in the output window so TextMate jumps to that section in the
code.

With Xcode 3 that has become a little trying though: Every time the
underlying xcodebuild command is launched, it goes through a rather
lengthy "Checking Dependencies" phase.

Xcode itself seems to cache the results from that phase, it is only
slow the first time a project is built after opening it in Xcode.

Hoping that it might help others, I came up with with the command
attached below. It uses Xcode to build the project, and (upon success)
hides Xcode and launches the freshly built application in such a way
that the output goes to the normal "Build With Xcode" window.

If compilation fails, it leaves Xcode in the front. I set Xcode to use
the "Condensed" layout, positioned the "Build Results" window to be
the same size and location as TextMate's "Build With Xcode" window,
and set TextMate as external editor for all source files. So double-
clicking on an error message will still jump to that location in the
code in TextMate, just like the original Build With Xcode" window
would do with a single click.

Hope that helps someone, feedback welcome.

Gerd