[TxMt] Re: GetBundles Request: GitHub Link / More info

Thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Jul 23 17:27:40 UTC 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
> On 23.07.2008, at 18:45, Thomas Aylott wrote:
> I parse the info.plist of each bundle, tag <description>.

>> Also, any chance of adding a link to the GitHub project for all
>> those?
> This could be done I guess. Maybe also for the svn bundles.
> And this could be put into a more-info thing.

Maybe we could add the link to the description in the info.plist. And
for Github you could just tack on the homepage value for the repo.

>> I'd also really like to inclue some really basic html into the
>> descriptions of my bundles.
> Do you mean for svn and github?

Seems Allan already officially added support for html in the
description over a year ago:
>>> Author: duff
>>> Date:   Sun Mar 4 20:11:31 2007 +0000
>>>
>>>     Add the following keys to the bundle’s info.plist:
>>>
>>>     contactName:
>>>        The full name of the contact for this bundle.
>>>     contactEmailRot13:
>>>        A ROT13 encoded email address for the bundle contact (we
>>> obfuscate it to avoid spammers from picking up the files, seeing
>>> how bundles will often be available via anonymous svn over http).
>>>        A short description for this bundle. Do link to more info
>>> about the language (or whatever) the bundle is about. I decided on
>>> using HTML for this (but leave out the initial paragraph tag)
>>> since it seemed like overkill to run a single line of text through
>>> Markdown.pl, just to convert [foo](link) into <a href="link">foo</a>
>>>
>>>     Many of the current descriptions could use some improvements,
>>> I just wanted to get the ball rolling :)

>> For GitHub bundles you could parse the README files for the bundles
>> like GitHub does.
>
> For svn bundles I don't see a chance to add a more detailed
> description. [The] only way would be that Allan decide to add
> soemthing
> like that into the bundle architecture.

You could just parse a README file in the root of the bundle (if it
exists) like for GitHub bundles.

> For github, well, to parse the README file would be tricky caused by
> the issue that these are coming in different formats.

There are only a couple of options on GitHub: plain text, textile,
markdown, etc...
You could just simply support the first three with the existing
textile and markdown parsers in the textmate support folder. Nobody
seems to really use any but those anyway.

> But it could be, maybe, possible to get the README stuff from
> github's HTML page meaning e.g. the <div id="readme">...</div> part
> of http://github.com/subtleGradient/subtlegradient-tmbundle/tree/
> master
>
> Then the HTML rendering will be done by github.

Well, whichever has the best performance. It might be faster to do
that than to load the README file yourself and then parse it yourself.

> --Hans
>
> BTW I uploaded a new GetBundles to the review. The entire error
> handling is strongly improved. I also added a help nib plus button,
> and a check box to make it possible to install a git bundle by
> downloading it as zipball. This is useful for users whose computer is
> behind a firewall which blocks the git port.

Yep! I saw it. There are a few minor issues I was going to nit-pick
about but figured I'd wait until you were done. I don't think nib
changes merge very well, so should I post another zip if I change
anything?

Thanks!

	—	thomas Aylott    @    subtleGradient