[TxMt] Re: Recording macros

Joseph Pecoraro joepeck02 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 18:43:13 UTC 2008

Ritesh,

Try these steps:
============

1) Put cursor in middle of a word
2) Start recording macro
3) Ctrl+W (Selects the entire word, this is easier then the two step
ctrl+left, ctrl+right, and works if the cursor is right before the
first char of the word!)
4) Command+E (Puts the word into the 'Find' part of the Find dialog
without opening the dialog)
5) Command+G (Searches for the next occurance of the 'Find' word in
the Find dialog without opening the dialog)
6) Stop recording macro

The reason your version wasn't working before was that when you opened
the find dialog and ran search, the macro was only recording the
single "real action" that was taking place... searching for whatever
word was in the "Find" buffer.  It then records that in the macro as
"perform a search with the given hardcoded word"  In the macro above,
using Command+E (also known as Apple+E) is an action to put the
current word into the "Find" buffer.  That action is recorded by the
macro.  Same with the Command+G action later.

I know that I didn't use the correct terminology, maybe someone can
explain it a little better, but that is my reasoning of why your macro
was not working.

Cheers,
Joseph Pecoraro
http://blog.bogojoker.com